Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Artist Spotlight: Marina Bychkova



Marina Bychkova's porcelain creations are well known in the high end collector's market. Her aesthetic is timeless, and her talent limitless. I have been a fan since I saw a picture of her dolls pasted on the inspiration board for Basso S/S 09 (The design house I work for.)

I have a lot of fun reading her blog-- her latest entry was about recreating an outdoor photoshoot, indoors. Aside from being a phenomenal artist, she is a brilliant writer.



The thing I love the most about her dolls is their timelessness, she truly creates them to be heirlooms--to outlive their owners. Reading about her process is fascinating--each porcelain doll goes through several stages of firing, and are strung together using industrial steel. Each joint is lined in suede, enabling the doll to maintain her pose.

Check out Marina's work at Enchanted Doll

*Photographs by Chad Isley

No comments:

Post a Comment